Friday, March 5

To Heed or Not to Heed?

I suppose the first line of defense for a youngest child is to scream like crazy; most assuredly,  I engaged in the same strategy. When you have older siblings who are bigger, stronger, and more wily, what else can you do?

Now as a mama, my question becomes: when do I intervene? Especially when that older child is a spectrum kid?

Does Samuel keep pestering his younger brother because he can (big brother), or is he pestering him because he lacks the social skills to know he's gone too far. Since the younger brother knows he can get my attention by hollering like crazy, is he sounding the alarm because he truly needs help, or is he calling in the best reinforcements to "his side"?

Bunches of parents complain when their kids don't get along, and most probably ask the same questions about intervention. But with Samuel, we have a lot more figuring to do ....

2 comments:

Mary said...

I just came across your blog while looking for some info about homeschooling and autism. I am pulling my 6yr old out kindergarten(they want him to repeat it). Both he and his brother are on the spectrum and I am reading as much as I can before I actually take the leap.
Anyway, when I read this post I breathed a sigh of relief knowing that I am not the only one with this problem!! My 4yr old and 2yr old do the same thing. My 4yr old is also on the spectrum-my 2yr old is just two.:)

He is a bright kid ... said...

Mary, I have been neglecting this blog and am very sorry I missed your original comment. If you see this, let me know and I'll see if there is a way we can communicate more directly. I initially started this with the hope that I could be an encouragement to other Moms (or Dads!).