Monday, August 31

Read a Good Book (For Mom)

Try sitting down with a list of psychologists from your insurance company and trying to figure out what your child needs. You might be in that position right now if you have a child showing signs of autism (and you don't even know what to call it yet!). If you have no insurance -- or pursue a route not covered by your insurance -- you will have a more difficult and and potentially difficult financial road ahead.

I've been there! Some of my inspiration in starting this blog comes out of those experiences. Over the weekend, I started a "Resources" section to which I'll be adding books and tools we have found useful. Eventually, I hope to create a website specifically aimed at helping you find the diagnostic and information resources that will be helpful to you and your family.

Right now I'd like to mention a few books that are posted in Resources. First, let me make a proviso: within the "spectrum" community you will encounter strong opinions -- follow X approach or your child will be doomed for life; Y program is the only scripturally defensible approach to take; Z nutritional program is essential or you are poisoning your child. Your child, family, and community are unique. I am suggesting books that I find helpful, but each contains information that contradict the others. Enlist the help of your pediatrician, read, think, and follow your best judgment.

Laura Hendrickson, who wrote Finding your Child's Way on the Autism Spectrum has the medical and theological training to be able to offer solid advice. She also is a mother who has gone through the struggles of rearing a spectrum kid.

Cathy Steere, who wrote Too Wise to Be Mistaken, Too Good to Be Unkind has the reputation in the online community for being an excellent mother. She writes about her own struggles in finding help for her son and rearing him.

I'll be sure to add more to the Resources feature as we go along.

No comments: