Friday, October 21

Making a Diamond

If I could get one message across to professionals who treat autism it is this: you are treating an entire family. Listen to moms and dads when they say they need help. When a professional treats the child, he clearly has to make decisions in the best interests of the child, but those benefits will be counter-acted if the treatment does not reduce the stress in the house as a whole.

The stresses are very real, particularly for the mothers. I have included a link here for an article that draws from research involving all members of a family with a spectrum kid.  And if you are homeschooling (a factor, to my knowledge, that's not included in this research) these stresses are multiplied.

Ultimately, my trust is in my heavenly father who cares for us no matter how difficult our days may be. And I am confident that our determination to teach Samuel here at home best assures a coherent world view for my son. But those who treat my Samuel may be providing the means of God's care, at least to some extent. Listen to the moms and dads.

No comments: