Friday, November 6

When Past is Present

"I shucked the corn." Hmmmm, I looked around at the pile of special blankets and stuffed animals that accompany our morning snuggle and couldn't for the life of me figure out what Samuel was talking about. "Then we cooked it and ate it."

Ah ha! He was thinking of last summer and revisiting our going to the farmers market, buying fresh corn, then coming home to prepare it. We've had to puzzle over these jumps in time before.

I'm not sure what to make of memories coming out as current. When we're reading, we may be paragraphs further along when Samuel asks about a particular word. That leaves me scrambling to find it so I can let him examine it for a moment. That might be attributed to a slow processing time, but events from last summer clearly would be coming out of long-term memory. (And Samuel has an unbelievable memory!)

Is it possibly a typical behavior for a six-year-old? I recall his older brother doing something somewhat similar, but thought then that it was his way of dealing with an extraordinarily sad event in his life.

For now, perhaps it doesn't matter. It's Samuel being Samuel. But I do try to understand what's going on with him!

2 comments:

Ruby said...

It could be normal for some kids. I get caught out sometimes with a question from left field. A query like, "What did she say, Mum" ??????
My youngest (10) obviously thinks I am on the same wave length. "What did who say?" And then it will be about some conversation that I had with one of the mums ages ago. That's just one example. This lad does that often.

He is a bright kid ... said...

With my 3-year-old, I love how he covers nouns he doesn't know by using pronouns ... "can you get me that one."