Thursday, February 18

Bon (Electronic) Voyage

Since I had been out of touch with my inner blog, I missed until yesterday a comment that merits discussion. It reads in part:
I do see your point about accidental learning, but, at least for me, I feel that the internet is actually a much more effective medium [than print media]. I learn so much from the internet by following random links that it actually interferes with my ability to learn what I should be learning as a college student. Often times it is in the course of researching for a paper that I am drawn to random links, especially on Wikipedia, where I learn nearly everything but the thing I am looking for. 
 OK, I'll cling to my old newspaper, but I do agree that the internet has given much to everyone -- and to home schoolers in particular. Ten years ago when I first started home schooling, I thought we'd be using electronic media more. Both my husband and I are computer-savvy, but search algorithms could be frustrating and the electronic materials at the time were clumsy; they often either emulated a classroom or created  unnecessary impediments.

Jump forward to 2010 and I find the internet to be one of my biggest allies.

When we come across an intriguing topic in literature, history, or science, we can usually find pictures if not audio and video. Bagpipes don't have to be just a passing mention in a book, but something performed on the screen in front of us. (My youngest now wants to learn the pipes!)  A static picture of pioneers making their way out west suddenly comes alive with  creaking wheels, dust flying, and people struggling to dig themselves out of the mud.

We have found that some authors and even characters have their own websites with classroom activities. Our handwriting curriculum has a huge website with how-to videos, ideas, and a multitude of support. Science is limited only by my sons being so young.

Whether hard copy or electronic, a sense of adventure or willingness to explore can go a long way on the information highway!

No comments: