Wednesday, February 24

Reading, Again!

While this blog is primarily about Samuel, today I'd like to focus on his main sidekick, Uriah, who has just turned four. Naturally, when we're doing school, Baby U joins in as best he can. He loves hearing books and stories and is usually on my lap as Samuel and I read.

Lately, I've noticed that Uriah is beginning to make the connection between letters and their sounds. So I've encouraged him, by pointing to simple two and three-letter words with a short vowel sound. I get him to identify the letters first, then tell me the sounds, then I help him put them together. Some words like no, on, Pa, and stop, he's seeing on his own as we read.

Of all the joys of home schooling, this is one of my favorite. To see the kids start reading has been such a thrill!

Since their Dad is dyslexic, I was concerned for my boys since it is more prevalent among males. I held my breath with an older brother, and he just plowed into reading. I was concerned there might be a link between Samuel's communications challenges and reading -- but so far, he's doing very well! And now Uriah is at the very preliminary stages, and I get to do see another child blossom with reading!

No comments: