Friday, October 16

Dangerous Strangers

I'm a little freaked about an article in this morning's paper, about a stranger trying to "spank" a 7-year-old who was having a public meltdown. Others just don't know or understand what's going on with Spectrum Kids, especially if they're high functioning and just appear to be an undisciplined child.

Going out in public can be so stressful, especially if we go someplace new. We more or less have a routine for going over to the school for speech, or over to the grocery story for food, so Samuel knows what to expect. But change that routine, and a meltdown becomes a very real possibility.

Today, I saw a variation on this in my home. The boys were fine until someone came by the house to drop off some political signs. They've been going crazy ever since. My husband and older son have noticed the same thing -- that the boys behavior change whenever one of us comes or goes, changing the "dynamic" in the house.

But how is a stranger to know when he is seeing a public meltdown? And why should a stranger feel like he can intervene in dealing with a child? I'm sure the mother is mortified and the child will have an even more difficult time in public.

1 comment:

Ruby said...

Hmm.. You have some difficult situations to deal with no doubt. Do you get out ocasionally on your own or with hubby to have a break and do something spontanious?
You said the boys got crazy, does the younger son have this same condition?
I don't think a stranger should ever take it upon themselves to correct children. I even get cranky with some "older" folk who can't help themselves but correct the children present - even when mum or dad are right there. I do sometimes see children having a meltdown when I am out shopping. I feel for the mother, and no doubt sometimes there is an explanation like this.
Have a good weekend! I do hope you get some little break time :-)