Thursday, October 8

Play Me A Song

When I was quite young, I remember a teacher playing music and handing out rhythm sticks, triangles and other simple instruments. For US patriotic songs we'd line up and have a parade around the classroom. One of my clearest memories is walking in front of the large windows banging away on a triangle.

Samuel loves music and seems to have a good ear for pitch. Taking a cue from my past, I purchased a set of instruments that includes the requisite triangle, tambourine, shakers, and other ways to participate. We've enjoyed our national songs (where else but at a parade or baseball game do we hear them these days?). Our selections get Samuel and Baby U moving -- or introduces them to different kinds of music.

The kids love Laurie Berkner who sings all kinds of silly songs that really get them involved (without that sickening "kids' song" sound). With the boys' recent interest in trains, I was inspired to pull together a play list of train songs, drawn mostly from American folk and bluegrass.

As I type, we're listening to Bach's Triple Concerto in A Minor -- Baby U came over as soon as he heard the opening notes. I recall one pleasant afternoon when he sat transfixed by Magnificat in D. The bigger question for Samuel will be any formal instruction. Spectrum kids are often musically inclined and we've had a wonderful friend offer to teach him the piano. Perhaps we need to follow up on this kind offer.

1 comment:

Ruby said...

Great offer. I hope you are able to take it up.
The collection of train songs fascinated me as when we have to stop at an railway crossing I have always sung "Train is a comin'" or "Rockin', Rollin', Ridin'". T
The kids loved it when they were smaller, now my boys say "Aw Mum!"