Thursday, October 1

A Quiet Moment (Please!)

A pool is an appropriate place to make noise, right? What struck me yesterday was how much more noise Samuel was making.

He has been taking swim lessons this fall with a dear, sweet woman who readily accepted the challenge. While Samuel swims, I water jog in the deep end of the pool. Yesterday, while nursing a headache, I barely saundered back and forth, perhaps making me more aware of my surroundings. Sure kids make noise in classes and around a pool, but Samuel's voice seemed to ring out above the rest.

Later in the day, my husband was late in getting home and we had to hand off the kids in a doctor's waiting room. Those few minutes were among the longest in my life -- this was at an adults-only practice with barely audible mellow music playing. Now we had noise trumpeting in a quiet environment.

Spectrum kids often make (or avoid) sensations that affect all five senses plus the sense of balance and position in space. To some extent, in settings with lots of people, I'd assumed Samuel was making noise because he was distracted and overstimulated. I'm beginning to suspect that he makes noise just to make noise. Because he "gets" something out of hearing the noise he is making, it takes the behavior beyond a simple disciplinary matter. Oh for some wisdom now (and the next 10 years!).

No comments: