Thursday, January 7

Friends from Heaven

Samuel, bless his heart, can be a real challenge. My decision to postpone this blog over the holidays was based, in part, on my simply being overwhelmed.

One of the more discouraging aspects had been the inability to participate fully in worship. Sunday mornings were the most tense time of the week for me. We had followed every bit of advice that came our way, including suggestions from someone who had grown up with challenges similar to Samuel's. But his spontaneous outbursts and movement just couldn't be tamed.

The Wednesday before Thanksgiving, a dear friend stopped by the house. She suggested having friends sit with Samuel in a quiet room in the lower part of the church where the services could still be heard. He could learn and participate, and I could fully participate again in church.

This has worked out beautifully. Last week, Samuel worshiped with a teenager that he just adores. It sounds like Samuel is learning a lot about the service and is able to participate in his own way. Others are getting to know Samuel even better, and I don't end up physically and emotionally drained every week.

I thank God for the wonderful people He puts in our lives to help carry our burdens!

1 comment:

Heidi said...

That's *wonderful*; and a very good idea that I will have to keep in mind. I'm so glad you have a caring church and pray the rest on Sunday will help you deal with the difficulties and stress and exhaustion throughout the week.