Thursday, January 21

Play Time

My boys are as energetic as ever while I have been rather lethargic. One morning, rather than working around the house, I just played with the boys. This was an education for me!

The boys have become huge fan of Thomas the Tank and have the tracks, engines and cars to go along with their devotion. As I played with them, I was pleasantly surprised to see how much problem solving is needed to get the tracks to actually hook up in the same spot or to build a bridge to cross tracks without the extra accessories designed for that purpose. The boys decided what they wanted and made do with what was before them. I couldn't come up with formal curiculum to teach such valuable life skills.

Despite Samuel's communication struggles, I was pleased to see the boys' cooperative and imaginative play. Whole story lines developed about trains coming off the tracks and needing to be rescued, and none of it sounded like any of the Thomas DVDs they've watched. In other words, the boys weren't just scripting. This is a big deal for Samuel. It's as if he's getting a chance to develop alongside his younger brother who is following a more typical trajectory. Play indeed.

No comments: