Tuesday, January 26

Kids See, Kids Do

Everyone knows that kids learn by imitation, but a few examples really jumped out at me today. I went upstairs to put away clean laundry. When I returned downstairs, I found Samuel eating a perfectly sliced apple. He had gotten himself an apple, then used a cutter that cores and slices an apple in one motion. (Now I wonder if he also imitated my habit of always washing an apple first?) One way or another, I was impressed with his ingenuity.

Now for a bad example. One of our neighbors has had visitors who hang around out front to smoke. Today, while I was bringing groceries in, I saw Samuel pick up one of the discarded filters and put it up to his lips. Yuck! He got a thorough lecture on the dangers of smoking, and also made me realize that sending smokers outside may not always be teaching neighborhood children the best of lessons. 

No comments: