Tuesday, September 8

The Better To Bite You With

We greeted the "official" start of the school year with a new behavior. Samuel started acting like he wanted to bite me! He's never done this before, and I'm not sure of its source. He opened his mouth wide and came at me like he was going to bite.

In all, this was a reminder of how crucial the first few years can be for teaching a child self discipline. As he goes into school, at home or in a classroom, the need for constant correction can greatly interfere with instruction. We've been working with Samuel from day one trying to teach him good behaviors, but it is so much more challenging for a spectrum kid. Now that we're trying to do more with school, this shortcoming is taking its toll. I feel like I spend so much time just trying to get him to sit quietly when appropriate, not making bunches of silly words, and now biting!!!

No comments: