Monday, September 14

What Do I Mean By "Spectrum Kid"?

My mother wasn't sure if I had explained "spectrum kid" well enough. I am enclosing part of a message I sent out to friends that helps to explain Samuel's situation:


It has been somewhat confusing because Samuel has received differing diagnoses. The easiest way to summarize is to say Samuel is having difficulties that fall on the high-functioning end of the autism spectrum, or as some professionals endearingly put it, he’s a “spectrum kid.”

He has plenty of mental capability, but his behavior can be extremely challenging. What may not seem like a big deal to you or me, can be a very big deal to Samuel – a change in schedule, choices that seem arbitrary, having a lot of people around, especially children, can greatly over-stimulate him.

I’m beginning to see that he needs to understand how things “work;” inconsistencies throw him. I’ve happened to have my hand on Samuel’s chest when he’s faced a seemingly minor change in schedule and his little heart just starts racing. The kid is highly stressed. If you have any phobias (like an unusual fear of heights, spiders, etc.), you might understand something of the stress Samuel faces. But imagine if you experience that level of anxiety every time you see a stop light (which can appear highly arbitrary to him), or if you have alternative routes to reach the same destination.

“Spectrum kids” will often find ways to stimulate themselves as a means of comfort that they can predict or control. Thankfully, we don’t have to deal with the head-banging or other injurious behaviors that are surprisingly common. Spelling was his “stim” of choice earlier this summer followed by repeating nonsense words now. (How many times can you say squamwich or spiz?)

No comments: