Saturday, September 19

Help From A Cyberfriend

** Note -- sorry I did not acknowledge some of your very kind comments earlier! **

In a recent comment, someone mentioned "getting inside" Samuel's head. For the last six weeks or so, I've had an additional resource that has enabled me to feel like I am doing just that.

I won't mention any names here because I want to respect RK's privacy, but I have been communicating with a fella that has grown up with challenges similar to Samuel's. We "met" through another forum, and in one post, he mentioned autism spectrum. I quickly asked if he would mind answering questions for me regarding Samuel.

What a huge blessing he is! I know I'm not talking to Samuel -- that RK is a unique individual -- but it feels like I am finally able to discover what Samuel sees and feels. Even the best of experts has never walked around in Samuel's shoes.

Having Samuel sit in the front of the church last week was a huge insight: he had far less to distract him and was more relaxed than I've ever seen him in a large group setting. I would never have made a connection between his seemingly natural mechanical abilities and a very real need to understand how everything around him works -- whether it is the toy car or the rules for behaving in a library. Knowing that Samuel may look distracted -- but is really paying attention in his own way -- has been valuable for teaching him.

Thank you RK; and may the blessing you've been to Samuel and me be returned many times over!

1 comment:

Ruby said...

That's a wonderful breakthrough and blessing!